Thanksgiving is almost here! Maybe you’re hosting or maybe you’re traveling to be with family and friends. Either way, it’s easy to get stressed around holidays or feel pressured to impress your guests or hosts. I think planning, staying organized and keeping things simple are key for having a stress-free holiday.
This will be our first Thanksgiving spent on the East Coast. I am looking forward to a relaxing day with our immediate family, but we will definitely miss our family and friends back in Chicago. My parents will be hosting this year, so I am on appetizer duty.
A good cheese plate is one of my favorite things to eat, anytime of the year really, but it also makes a perfect holiday appetizer! I usually go with a few different cheese options, nuts, crackers and something sweet. Apples, grapes and/or dried fruit usually make up the something sweet portion, but this pear compote is the perfect way to make a cheese plate a little more special for the holiday. You can make this a few days before, which makes it even more ideal.
I hope everyone has a wonderful Thanksgiving with family, friends and of course good food!
- 3 medium pears, peeled and diced into small pieces
- 4 Tablespoons of fruity, white wine like Riesling
- 1 and ½ Tbsp sugar
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- Dash of nutmeg
- In a large skillet over medium heat, combine the pears, Riesling, sugar and cinnamon sticks.
- Bring mixture to a simmer and stir occasionally until most of the liquid has evaporated and pears are tender and softened, about 10-12 minutes.
- Remove from the heat. Remove cinnamon stick and stir in the nutmeg. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.