Spring has sprung here in Boston… well until it decided to snow this week! Regardless of the snow, the daffodils are still starting to bloom in our neighborhood which is a lovely little surprise. Not only are flowers blooming, but Spring also means the local farmers are starting to gather up their crops and farmers markets and CSA’s will be in full swing before we know it!
One of my favorite Spring veggies to cook with is asparagus. I was so excited when I spotted it in the grocery store a few weeks ago and knew right away that I had to make this shaved asparagus pizza. The asparagus truly shines in this recipe with the simple layer of olive oil and cheese topped with green onions and lemon juice. The ingredients come together to form a pizza that looks and tastes like Spring!
Asparagus is filled with many antioxidants including Vitamin A, C, E and glutathione which may help protect against things like cancer and other chronic diseases. It also contains chromium which is a mineral that can help support insulin and glucose regulation.
I love roasted or grilled asparagus with lemon juice, olive oil, salt and pepper for a quick side dish, but shaving it makes it a little more interesting! Plus, you can get the great flavor of asparagus without having to worry about pre-cooking it. Shaving the asparagus is not as hard as it looks. All you need is a vegetable peeler and a little bit of patience. Don’t worry if the slices of asparagus are different sizes, this will add a nice texture to the pizza!
Feel free to use your favorite pizza dough recipe or simply go the store-bought route if you’re short on time. I think this recipe will become a Spring favorite in your home just as it has in ours!
- 1 recipe of your favorite pizza dough
- ½ pound asparagus
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese, shaved
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- Juice of ½ lemon
- Preheat your oven to 500 degrees.
- Shave the asparagus into thin slices by holding each spear by the woody bottom end and running a sharp vegetable peeler along the stalks from bottom to top (see picture above). Repeat with the remaining spears. Discard the tough ends.
- In a bowl, toss the shaved asparagus with 1 Tablespoon olive oil, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes.
- Now assemble the pizza. Roll or stretch out your pizza dough into a 12-inch round and transfer onto a baking sheet. Brush the dough with remaining Tablespoon of olive oil. Sprinkle pizza dough with Parmesan cheese and then evenly distribute mozzarella. Top with asparagus.
- Bake pizza for 12-15 minutes or until the cheese has melted and the edges start to brown (cooking times will vary depending on your pizza dough recipe).
- Remove from oven, top with green onion and lemon juice, slice and enjoy!