Heading outdoors for a meal and quality time with family and friends can be a great way to enjoy the best spring and summer have to offer. I love preparing an easy snack or meal, packing it up with a blanket and taking it somewhere special to enjoy a relaxing picnic. We are lucky to have some amazing parks within walking distance of where we live which help us escape the hustle and bustle of living in a city.
This orzo salad is the perfect dish to make for a picnic! Add some grilled chicken or chickpeas for protein to make it a complete meal or serve it as a side dish. It would also be great with some fresh herbs like parsley or basil if you happen to have some growing in your garden. This salad is light and refreshing, easy to prepare, and can be made in advance so you have more time to get outside and enjoy the nice weather!
- ¼ cup olive oil
- Juice of one lemon
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup orzo, uncooked
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup kalamata olives, halved
- ¼ red onion, diced
- 1 cup spinach, chopped
- ¼ cup feta cheese, crumbled
- Start by making the dressing. In a medium bowl whisk together olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Cook orzo according to the package directions, or about 8-10 minutes. Drain any remaining liquid, toss with the dressing and set aside to cool to room temperature.
- Combine the cooled orzo with the tomatoes, olives, onion, and spinach. Top with feta cheese and serve.
*Cooking the orzo with vegetable broth instead of water is an easy way to add more flavor!