It’s no secret that we enjoy Mexican food in our house. We love experimenting with taco night and trying new fillings to keep things interesting! This cauliflower and chickpea combination is a great alternative to traditional animal proteins like ground beef or ground turkey. It feels like a substantial meal, while still being light. I have to say that cauliflower is the one vegetable that I have never really loved, but you can’t go wrong roasting it and putting it in a taco! Roasting the cauliflower really transforms the flavor and creates a nice texture.
Cauliflower may not be colorful, but don’t underestimate the power of this white cruciferous vegetable! It has many of the same benefits as other cruciferous vegetables such as broccoli, kale and Brussels Sprouts. Cauliflower has compounds that are involved in cancer protection, anti-inflammation, cardiovascular benefits and digestive health. It is an excellent source of Vitamin C and contains many other antioxidants and phytonutrients including beta-carotene and quercetin.
Combine “Meatless Monday” with “Taco Tuesday” and give this recipe a try. The roasted cauliflower and chickpeas paired with the cilantro lime yogurt sauce make an unexpectedly delicious taco!
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 (15oz) can of chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 small head of cauliflower, cut into bite-sized pieces
- Tortillas of your choice
- 1 cup cabbage, finely chopped
- 1 avocado, diced
- Fresh cilantro, chopped
- Cilantro Lime yogurt sauce:
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- ⅓ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- Juice and zest of 1 lime
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a large bowl, combine chili powder, turmeric, garlic powder, black pepper, salt, lime juice, olive oil, chickpeas and cauliflower.
- Spread the mixture onto a baking sheet and roast for 30 minutes, or until the chickpeas are slightly crispy and cauliflower is tender.
- To make the yogurt sauce, combine the Greek yogurt with cilantro, lime juice, lime zest, salt and pepper.
- To assemble the tacos, place roasted cauliflower and chickpeas in a tortilla. Top with cabbage, avocado, cilantro and cilantro lime yogurt sauce.