Summer is here which means it’s time for backyard barbecues and lots of get togethers with family and friends. One of our go-to appetizers when we have people over is a cheese plate. I mean you really can’t go wrong with some quality cheese, fruit, and nuts but sometimes it’s nice to change things up a bit. This whipped goat cheese dip with summer herbs is the perfect solution! It’s a prime example of elegant simplicity. With just a few ingredients and minimal prep work, you get a dip that is creamy, fresh and perfect for summertime.
I used our electric stand mixer to whip the goat cheese, but a food processor or hand mixer would also work well. Adding a bit of milk helps keep it light and creamy. Feel free to change up the herbs and use whatever ones you enjoy most and have available to you. I just happen to have some basil, parsley and chives growing on our balcony this year but I think herbs like thyme and rosemary would also be delicious!
Now I know it’s summer, which means many of us are trying to be a little more mindful about the food choices we make. The good news is that goat cheese is naturally lower in calories, fat and sodium compared to other cheeses like cheddar. Pair it with some fresh vegetables and maybe some grilled whole wheat bread or pita and this is a pretty balanced appetizer that won’t derail your healthful eating plan.
- 8 oz plain goat cheese
- 3 Tablespoons of lowfat milk
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 Tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 Tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
- 2 Tablespoons fresh chives, chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a bowl of an electric stand mixer, combine goat cheese with the milk. Mix until incorporated, then increase the speed and begin to whip. Continue whipping until smooth and fluffy, adding additional milk as needed, 1 Tablespoon at a time.
- Once the dip is whipped and smooth, stir in the garlic and fresh herbs, salt and pepper.
- Chill until ready to serve. Pair with grilled bread, pita, or raw vegetables of your choice.