Summer may be coming to an end, but there are still loads of fresh produce to be found this time of year! Grain bowls are one of my favorite ways to make a customizable, simple meal with your Farmer’s Market finds, garden harvest, or CSA share.
This Farmer’s Market Quinoa bowl combines arugula, quinoa, tomatoes, avocado, white beans, summer squash and bell peppers. Topped with a basil vinaigrette, this bowl is the perfect way to keep the flavors of summer alive.
You can use the concept of a grain bowl to use up any ingredients that you have around the house. It makes a quick weekday lunch or a light dinner. Just follow these steps:
- Start with a grain such as quinoa, bulgur, couscous, or brown rice.
- Next, fill your bowl up with some veggies. They can be raw, sautéed or roasted. It can be as simple or elaborate as you want, just aim to get a variety of colors!
- Now you need to add some kind of protein- this can be beans, grilled chicken, lentils, tuna or some tofu.
- Last, top with a flavorful dressing or sauce to tie everything together.
I use this concept a lot when I know we are going to have a busy week. I batch cook the grains and protein source, then mix in different veggies and use different dressings throughout the week to keep things interesting!
- For the Basil Vinaigrette:
- 2 cups packed basil leaves
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 Tablespoons shallot, roughly chopped
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 Tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ cup olive oil
- For the Bowl:
- 6 cups arugula or other salad greens
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1 15oz can white beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 zucchini, sliced
- 1 yellow squash, sliced
- 1 bell pepper, sliced
- Start by making the vinaigrette. Place the basil, garlic, shallots, lemon juice, vinegar, salt, pepper and olive oil in a blender or food processor. Blend until smooth. Taste adjust seasonings as needed.
- Now assemble the bowls. Place arugula in the bottom of a wide shallow bowl. Top with quinoa, tomatoes, avocado, beans, zucchini, yellow squash, and bell pepper. Drizzle with basil vinaigrette and serve.