Football season has been in full swing for a few weeks now and while I’m not the biggest football fan, it’s hard to avoid the Tom Brady fan clubs out here in Boston. Even though the games usually don’t get me fired up, I do love that football season means more gatherings with family and friends! It also means that there are usually some yummy snacks involved 🙂
Nachos are hands down one of my favorite game-watching snacks, but I like to try and put a healthy twist on them when possible. That is where these mini bell pepper nachos come in! Who would have thought you could have a plate of nachos that you can feel good about?! Red bell peppers are loaded with Vitamin C (they contain almost double the amount of an orange!) Using multiple colors of bell peppers means you get many different phytonutrients and antioxidants which help support your immune system.
These mini bell pepper nachos are sure to be a crowd pleaser at your next game day gathering!
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 green onions, sliced, white parts and green parts separated
- 1 ½ cups cooked chicken, shredded
- 1 ½ teaspoon chili powder
- 1 ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 pound mini bell peppers
- ¼ cup black olives, sliced
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- ½ avocado, diced
- ½ cherry tomatoes, diced
- ¼ cup cilantro, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat the olive oil in a non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic and white parts of the green onions and cook for about 2 minutes. Stir in the chicken, chili powder, and cumin and cook until the chicken is warm, about 5 minutes.
- Remove mixture from the heat and stir in 1 cup of salsa.
- Slice the ends off each mini bell pepper and slice in half lengthwise. Remove the seeds and ribs and press each half open so the peppers lie as flat as possible. Arrange in a single layer on a large baking sheet.
- Spoon chicken mixture evenly over pepper halves. Top with black olives and cheese.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until the cheese has melted. Remove from oven and top with avocado, tomatoes, cilantro and remaining green onions.