It looks like Spring has officially arrived here in Boston and after a pretty snowy winter I am welcoming the warmth and sunshine with open arms! Buds are starting to form on the trees and tiny purple flowers are popping up all over our neighborhood. Spring also means that fresh produce will start to become more abundant with CSA’s and farmer’s markets gearing up for the season ahead.
Asparagus is definitely one of my favorite Spring vegetables to cook with. It is filled with many antioxidants including Vitamin A, C, E, and glutathione which may help protect against cancer and other chronic diseases.
Shaved asparagus pizza is a staple in our house this time of year, but sometimes I like to keep things even more simple which is where asparagus milanese comes in! You really can’t go wrong with asparagus sauteed with some olive oil, salt and pepper then topped with a fried egg, fresh lemon juice and Parmesan cheese. If you are looking to keep things on the lighter side, I think this dish would make the perfect addition to any Easter brunch. I also like to make this dish for a quick dinner and often serve it with some fresh baguette.
- 1 pound asparagus, woody ends trimmed
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- Pinch of salt and black pepper
- 4 eggs
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese, shaved
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Preheat a grill pan or skillet over medium-high heat. Toss the asparagus in 2 Tablespoons of olive oil and season with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Sauté for about 3 minutes per side (the asparagus should be bright green and charred in spots).
- In a separate nonstick skillet over medium heat, heat 1 Tablespoon of olive oil and fry the eggs to your liking.
- Divide the asparagus among four plates and top each with an egg. Squeeze fresh lemon juice over each serving and top with Parmesan cheese.