I am so happy to share that Kevin and I welcomed our daughter, Evelyn Kay, on May 8th! The past 4 weeks have flown by. We are filled with so much love and gratitude and there are really no words to describe the joy Evelyn has brought into our lives.
Although we have been cooking a bit less than usual, we have been fortunate enough to have amazing friends and family who have been bringing us some delicious meals to get us through this transition period. We have also been relying on some things I made pre-baby like black bean burgers and carrot quinoa breakfast cookies. It’s so convenient to have these in the freezer for times when we need something quick and easy.
Now that we are getting into more of a groove I am excited to get back in the kitchen and share some recipes with you! With Father’s Day just around the corner, I wanted to start with something I knew Kevin would love. He’s a good sport and eats pretty much anything I make, but pizza has to be one of his all-time favorites. Grilled pizza is perfect for warmer weather when you don’t want to heat up the oven.
The possibilities are endless for pizza toppings, but grilled vegetable pizza is one of our favorites this time of year because you can use any vegetables that you have available. Take a trip to your local farmer’s market and see what looks good or use up some of your veggies in your CSA basket. Paired with some garlic, olive oil, fresh basil, and mozzarella, you get a pizza that is light and healthy and screams summertime!
You can use your favorite homemade pizza dough recipe or purchase dough from the grocery store to keep things simple. We have a local bakery that sells delicious fresh pizza dough. You could also use whole wheat Naan bread for the crust.
- 1 small zucchini, sliced
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into strips
- 1 small red onion, sliced
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- Pinch of salt and black pepper
- 1 pound pizza dough, homemade or store bought
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 ounces fresh mozzarella, sliced
- ½ cup grape or cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 Tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat and brush the grates with a little bit of olive oil.
- In a medium bowl, combine zucchini, mushrooms, red pepper, onion, 1 Tablespoon olive oil and a pinch of salt and black pepper. Place vegetables on a grill pan or make a tray out of foil. Grill for 8-10 minutes or until tender. Remove vegetables from the grill and set aside.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll the pizza dough out into a large circle or oval. Brush pizza dough with olive oil and transfer to a lightly floured rimless baking sheet or pizza peel.
- Place the pizza dough directly onto the hot grill. Close the lid and let the dough cook for about 2 minutes.
- Using tongs, gently lift the dough to check the bottom. It should be light brown.
- Carefully flip the pizza dough with tongs or a spatula and grill for an additional 2 minutes or until golden brown. Remove pizza dough from the grill.
- Sprinkle the minced garlic onto the pizza dough. Top with fresh mozzarella and then distribute the grilled vegetables evenly over the cheese. Place pizza back on the grill for another 2 minutes, or until the cheese melts and crust is cooked to your desired crispiness.
- Remove pizza from the grill and top with fresh tomatoes and basil. Cut into slices and serve.