Time is flying and our sweet Evie girl is already 3 months old! I’ll be heading back to work soon, so I am trying to meal plan ahead of time to make this transition as easy as possible. When thinking about a healthy, satisfying, make-ahead breakfast, overnight oats are one of the first things that come to mind!
If you haven’t tried overnight oats before, now is the time. You just combine all of your ingredients in under five minutes and then overnight the magic happens! The oats absorb all the liquid and you end up with creamy oats in the morning. I like to use a combination of plain Greek yogurt and low fat milk which both provide a good source of protein. The chia seeds provide healthy fat and fiber and the maple syrup or honey provide the perfect amount of sweetness. This chocolate peanut butter combination is one of my favorites, but feel free to play around with flavors and use any fruits, nuts, nut butters or seeds you like!
Making breakfast the night before is a way to simplify your morning routine and in my case it may mean an extra 10-15 minutes of baby snuggles 🙂
- ⅓ cup plain Greek yogurt
- ⅔ cup low fat milk or unsweetened almond milk
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 Tablespoon maple syrup or honey
- 2 Tablespoons natural peanut butter
- 1 Tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ cup old fashioned oats
- 1 Tablespoon chia seeds
- Toppings: slivered almonds, sliced bananas, chocolate chips
- In a medium bowl, stir together all of the ingredients.
- Transfer the mixture into a small jar or container with a lid.
- Place in the refrigerator overnight, or for at least 4 hours, until the oats are softened.