I am constantly on the search for healthy lunch options that I can make in advance and bring to work. I tend to gravitate towards plant-based options like salads, roasted chickpeas, black bean tacos, and hummus, but sometimes I crave a bit more protein. That is where this egg salad recipe comes in! Now I know some of you may have negative thoughts about egg salad, which can be pretty heavy and loaded with mayo, but that’s not the case here!
I used plain Greek yogurt instead of mayonnaise which not only keeps things light, but it adds about 15 more grams of protein! The fresh herbs provide immune supporting phytonutrients and some amazing flavors.
Over the years eggs have received a lot of negative press due to their cholesterol content. However, we now know that eating cholesterol is not necessarily linked to raising blood cholesterol levels. Trans fat and saturated fat play a bigger role in heart disease risk than dietary cholesterol. Eggs actually have a lot of benefits- they are a great source of lean, inexpensive protein with 6 grams per egg. The egg white is where most of the protein is found while the egg yolk contains many vitamins and minerals including choline. Choline plays an important role in brain function and health. The yolk also has lutein and zeaxanthin which are two carotenoids that act as antioxidants and are important for eye health.
This egg salad can be made in advance, but I recommend consuming it within 1-2 days. Serve it with some toasted bread or whole grain crackers. I like to pair it with some sliced radishes or arugula for a nice peppery bite!
- 8 hard boiled eggs, chopped
- ½ cup plain Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup capers, roughly chopped
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, chopped
- ¼ cup fresh tarragon, chopped
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- For serving:
- toasted bread, whole grain crackers or some fresh vegetables like radishes or arugula
- In a medium bowl mix together eggs, Greek yogurt, olive oil, capers, parsley and tarragon. Taste and add salt and black pepper to your liking.
- Store in the refrigerator until ready to serve.