The week before Christmas can be pretty busy, so having quick and easy meals planned is a must! This Parmesan Chicken with Mixed Greens is a great option and is right up my alley (let’s be real, Parmesan cheese can make anything better, including boneless, skinless chicken breast!)
I used white whole wheat flour to add some whole grains and the panko bread crumbs provide a nice crunch. I also made a batch of my go-to vinaigrette which adds the perfect amount of acidity and keeps things light.
This is a chicken dinner that is comforting and satisfying, while still being light and pretty healthy. What’s even better is that it’s quick enough to make for a weeknight meal. I think the whole family will love this one!
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 eggs
- 1 ¼ cups panko bread crumbs
- ½ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, plus extra for serving
- 1-2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1-2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cups mixed greens
- For the Vinaigrette:
- 3 Tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons honey
- Pinch of salt and black pepper
- ½ cup olive oil
- Start by making the vinaigrette. In a medium bowl, whisk together the vinegar, mustard, honey, salt and pepper. Slowly whisk in the olive oil until the dressing thickens and emulsifies. Taste and adjust ingredients as desired.
- Now prepare the chicken. Pound the chicken breast until they are about ¼ inch thick (I place the chicken breast between two pieces of wax paper and use a rolling pin, but a meat mallet works if you have one in your kitchen!)
- Next, set up your breading station. You will need 3 plates or shallow bowls. Combine the flour, salt and pepper on one plate. On the second plate beat the eggs with 1 Tablespoon of water. On the third plate combine the panko bread crumbs with ½ cup Parmesan cheese.
- Start by dipping the chicken breast in the flour mixture, making sure both sides are coated. Gently shake off any excess flour. Then move onto the next plate and dip the chicken in the egg mixture, again making sure both sides are coated. Finally, move to third plate and dip the chicken in the bread crumb-cheese mixture, pressing down lightly so both sides are coated.
- Now it’s time to get cooking! Heat 1 Tablespoon of butter and 1 Tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add 2 of the chicken breasts and cook 2-3 minutes on each side, until cooked through and crispy. Remove from the skillet. If needed, add more butter and olive oil to the skillet before cooking the 2 remaining chicken breasts.
- Toss the mixed greens with desired amount of vinaigrette. Place chicken breasts on serving platter and top with a mound of mixed greens. Serve with some extra Parmesan on top!
*This recipe will make about 1 cup of dressing. It can be stored in the refrigerator for about 2 weeks if you have some leftover.