Hummus and bean dips are something we always have on hand. They are filled with fiber, plant-based protein, and healthy fat which help support your energy level throughout the day and help keep hunger at a manageable level (both super important things when you have an 11 month old!)
We used to buy the store bought versions of these dips, but now I like to make them at home whenever possible. This allows me to experiment with new flavors and it saves us some money!
I love this combination of creamy cannellini beans, roasted veggies and garlic. Roasting vegetables really concentrates their flavor and they become almost sweet. If you end up with extra roasted vegetables keep them on hand to incorporate into salads, pasta dishes, frittatas or omelets throughout the week.
You can pair this dip with fresh vegetables and whole wheat pita or crackers. I often serve this as part of an appetizer board with some olives and nuts too!
- ½ medium eggplant, diced
- ½ medium yellow onion, diced
- ½ medium red bell pepper, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, smashed
- Salt and black pepper
- 3-4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 15-ounce can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Place eggplant, onion, bell pepper, and garlic on a baking sheet in a single layer and toss with 2 tablespoons olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Roast for 35 minutes, turning halfway through, until vegetables are tender. Allow to cool slightly.
- Transfer cooled vegetables to the bowl of a food processor and add cannellini beans and 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Add a pinch of salt and black pepper. Process mixture until it is smooth, or your desired consistency. Add additional olive oil if needed. Taste and adjust seasoning if needed.
- Serve with raw veggies or whole wheat pita.