Tacos are one of my go-to meals when I need something quick, easy, and satisfying. They are a great way to use up the random assortment of groceries you may have on hand. Think leftover roasted veggies, eggs, hummus, beans….pretty much anything can be put into a tortilla!
One of my favorite combinations lately has been these sweet potato and black bean tacos with pickled onions. They make a perfect plant-based meal that comes together in no time.
Have you tried pickled onions before? They may sound a bit strange, but pickling completely transforms raw red onions which can be kind of overpowering sometimes! I love to add them to tacos, but they also work on sandwiches, salads, and quesadillas.
If you are celebrating Cinco de Mayo this upcoming weekend, give these tacos a try! I don’t think anyone will miss the meat 🙂
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- Pinch of salt and black pepper
- 1 ½ cups black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 avocado, diced
- 8 tortillas of your choice
- ½ cup feta cheese, crumbled
- For pickled red onion:
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- ½ cup white wine vinegar
- Pinch of sugar
- Pinch of salt
- ¼ cup warm water (or enough to over the onion)
- Start by making the quick pickled red onions. Place the sliced onion in a jar and add the vinegar, sugar and salt. Shake to combine. Add warm water so that it covers the onion and shake again. Store in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour, or up to 2 weeks.
- Now roast the sweet potatoes. Preheat oven to 425 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Toss the peeled and diced sweet potatoes with olive oil, chili powder, salt and pepper. Spread in a single layer on the baking sheet and roast for 30-35 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender. Remove from the oven and let cool slightly.
- To assemble the tacos, fill each tortilla with sweet potatoes, black beans, avocado, feta cheese and pickled onions. Serve with some hot sauce if you like things spicy. These can be served warm or at room temp.