Memorial Day is this weekend which means summer has officially arrived! It’s time to enjoy the warm weather and all of the local produce available this time of year. Lettuce wraps are the perfect warm weather food and are such a fun way to feed a crowd. Have all of your ingredients for assembling the wraps prepared ahead of time and let your guests assemble their own based on their preferences. This means you’ll spend less time in the kitchen and more time visiting- a win for everyone!
These lettuce wraps are packed with flavor. The shrimp is a good source of lean protein and the avocado provides healthy fat. They make a perfect appetizer, lunch, or light dinner. If you like things spicier you can add some cayenne pepper to the marinade or serve the wraps with your favorite hot sauce.
- 1 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined with tails removed
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 12 large butter lettuce leaves
- 1 avocado, diced
- 3 green onions, sliced
- ½ bunch cilantro, chopped
- Salsa or hot sauce if desired
- In a large bowl combine garlic, chili powder, cumin and 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Add shrimp and toss well. Cover and refrigerate for about 30 minutes.
- Heat the remaining tablespoon of olive oil in a nonstick pan over medium heat. Add the shrimp in a single layer and cook without turning until the underside is opaque, about 2-3 minutes. Flip the shrimp and cook until opaque throughout, about 2 minutes more. Remove pan from the heat and place shrimp in a bowl to cool slightly.
- To assemble the lettuce wraps, place 3-4 shrimp in each piece of lettuce. Top with avocado, green onion and cilantro. Serve with salsa or hot sauce if desired.