Meal prepping on the weekends is one way I can make sure my family has some healthy food options when things get crazy during the week. One of my favorite things to do on a Sunday morning is make a batch of homemade muffins. Not only is it a relaxing way to start the day (sipping coffee of course and usually with some music playing in the background), but it is one way to ensure we have a snack or breakfast option for the week that we can feel good about.
Just like my carrot, apple cinnamon, and blueberry lemon muffins, these zucchini muffins use white whole wheat flour as the base. This provides a good source of fiber and B vitamins. Zucchini is filled with antioxidants including Vitamin C. It also contains immune supporting phytonutrients like lutein and zeaxanthin.
Zucchini was actually the first solid food we fed to our daughter Evelyn when she was about 6 months old. Since then she hasn’t been a huge fan of this veggie, but these muffins totally changed that! She was literally clapping the entire time she was eating one for the first time 🙂
Make sure you keep this recipe around for later in the summer when zucchini tends to be abundant in home gardens and at farmers markets!
- 1 ¾ cups white whole wheat flour
- 1 Tablespoon ground flaxseed
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- ⅓ cup maple syrup
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups grated zucchini (I used 1 large zucchini)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. In a large bowl, combine flour, flaxseed, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together olive oil and maple syrup. Add the eggs and beat well. Then mix in the yogurt and vanilla.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Stir in the zucchini.
- Divide the batter evenly in a greased or nonstick muffin pan. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the muffins are golden brown and a toothpick or butter knife inserted into a muffin comes out clean.